Jack Kerouac is buried in Edson Cemetery in Lowell, MA, his hometown and birthplace.
The grave is at the intersection of 7th Ave and Lincoln Ave.
This project has documented the grave site and the objects left as offerings – pens, pencils, bottles of booze, rosary beads – and most important, personal messages including journals, published books, photographs, and notes.
As the items changed, the photographs recorded the grave site every day of 2022, the 100th anniversary of Kerouac’s birth.
The cemetery website is https://www.lowellma.gov/258/Jack-Kerouacs-Grave
- Enter the cemetery through the main gate on Gorham Street
- Continue down 3rd Avenue and take a left onto Lincoln Avenue
- After you pass 7th Avenue pull, over to the right side of the road
- Jack Kerouac’s grave will be on the passenger’s side of the car
- His grave has a flat marker approximately 10 feet in front on a larger, upright monument with his signature engraved