A photograph a day for one year
Jack Kerouac is buried in Edson Cemetery located at 1375 Gorham Street in Lowell, MA, his hometown and birthplace. The grave is located in the cemetery at the intersection of 7th Ave and Lincoln Ave.
This project will document the grave site and the objects left as offerings – pens, pencils, bottles of booze, rosary beads – and most important, personal messages including journals, published books, photographs, and short notes.
As the items change, the photographs will record the grave site in a photograph every day for the year of the 100th anniversary of his birth.
The cemetery website is https://www.lowellma.gov/258/Jack-Kerouacs-Grave
- Enter the cemetery through the main gate on Gorham Street
- Continue down 3rd Avenue and take a left onto Lincoln Avenue
- After you pass 7th Avenue pull, over to the right side of the road
- Jack Kerouac’s grave will be on the passenger’s side of the car
- His grave has a flat marker approximately 10 feet in front on a larger, upright monument with his signature engraved